How to Use Email Marketing To Drive Sales for Your Business
You can use email marketing because it’s a cost-effective way to maintain a constant flow of communication with your audience and drive sales in the long term. It’s no surprise that email remains one of the most effective ways to reach your target audience.
After all, 70% of adults check their email at least once a day, and 96% of internet users have an email account. In this blog post, we explore the benefits of this kind of marketing, examples of great email marketing campaigns from brands you know and how to use the same ideas as part of your wider sales strategy.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a strategy designed to connect with your customers and drive sales through regular communication via email. It can be a part of your whole Internet marketing campaign.
There are three core activities to effective email marketing:
- Creating a plan: You can’t just send emails and hope for the best. A well-thought-out plan can help you get the most from your email marketing strategy.
- Segmenting your email list: The key to being effective is communicating regularly with your customers. This only works if you’re sending emails to the right people.
- Measuring and improving: The only way to crack this type of marketing is to track and measure the results of your efforts. As a result, even if you’re not a marketing expert, there are plenty of ways to get started.
- Creating an email content strategy: The most important thing is to understand your audience and what they want to receive. This includes the type of content, your tone of voice, and how often you should be sending emails.
Why use email marketing?
It’s measurable: You can track the success of your campaign. From the open rate of your emails to the number of clicks and purchases.
- Email marketing is cheap: Building a list and sending out emails is a lot cheaper than other options, like paid advertising.
- This type of marketing is easy to set up: Email marketing tools can make the whole process straightforward.
- Using email is familiar: We’ve been receiving and sending emails for decades. As a result, people feel comfortable with the format.
- It is effective: Studies show that these types of campaigns with a positive tone can generate up to three times more clicks than those with a negative tone.
An example of an effective campaign
It’s important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to effective email marketing. Even so, we can learn a lot from the experiences of brands who are doing this right.
An example of a great email marketing campaign is the one sent by Warby Parker. Warby Parker’s email marketing strategy is all about the brand connecting with its customers on a personal level.
Rather than firing off one-off sales emails, Warby Parker’s emails provide their customers with information and advice tailored to their specific needs.
The emails are informal but professional, and they come with a friendly tone. They’re also timely: Warby Parker regularly sends out email campaigns timed to coincide with special events and holidays.
How to use email as part of your sales strategy
First, identify your objectives. Sales are only one possible outcome of a campaign. This might be more challenging if your business sells goods and services that have a higher price point.
You might want to build your email list, generate brand awareness, or strengthen your relationship with customers. Whatever your objectives are, they should form the basis of your email marketing strategy.
Once you have some ideas for email campaigns, think about your tone of voice. Remember that you’re not just writing an email to one person: you are sending it to your entire email list. That means keeping your tone consistent and friendly.
Tips on how to be effective
Start with an email list: You can’t send effective campaigns if you don’t have an email list to send them to. Make sure you are collecting email addresses wherever possible to grow your list.
- Send regular emails: The key to effective email marketing is regular communication. Try to schedule your emails for a consistent time each week.
- Send emails that add value: Don’t just fire off a sales pitch or promotional offer whenever you feel like it. Instead, try to send emails that provide your customers with useful content.
Send emails outside of business hours: If you send emails to your customers during business hours, you risk distracting them from their work. Try to schedule your email campaigns outside working hours.
Track your Results
- Track your results: As with any marketing campaign, it’s important to track your results. Use an email marketing tool to monitor your open rates and click-through rates.
- Use an email marketing tool: These tools can make the process of creating, sending and tracking your emails a lot easier. Be sure to select a tool that has the functionality you need and allows you to personalize your emails.
Consider your tone of voice: Your tone of voice is just as important as the content of your emails. Remember: you’re not just writing an email to one person; you’re sending it to your entire email list.
An email newsletter is a great way to keep in touch with your customers. You can send out monthly, weekly, or daily newsletters to keep customers informed of what’s new at your company, share some tips and tricks for their daily life, or send them exclusive offers.
It’s simple: you send them a newsletter once a week, and they read it. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your email newsletter.
Make sure you have permission from your readers before sending them anything. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Ask for feedback about what kinds of topics people want to learn about.
Include pictures, videos, and links to interesting articles that you think they’ll find interesting (but don’t go overboard).
Don’t forget to include an “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of every email so that they can stop receiving your emails if they choose to do so.
An email opt-in form is a form on your website that collects contact information from site visitors who are interested in receiving future newsletters and promotions.
To create an email opt-in form, you’ll need to design a form, upload it to your website, and then insert the code into your site’s HTML pages.
It’s typically used to grow your mailing list, increase conversion rates, and build relationships with customers.
Here is a great tutorial for an Opt-in Form if you are using WordPress.
If you need an HTML Opt-in Form, we can design one for you, just contact us here.
Email remains one of the most effective ways to reach your target audience. Because, when used correctly, it can help you build brand awareness, therefore, increasing sales and strengthening relationships with your customers.
However, you certainly can’t just send emails whenever you feel like it. To be effective, they need to be part of a wider email marketing strategy.
This includes collecting email addresses, sending regular emails, sending emails outside business hours and using an email marketing tool to track your results.