Website marketing using high authority backlinks from popular website's, find out more at webcentreplus.com or email colin@webcentreplus.com
Click Here!

Top 5 Linux Packages for Web Design

This video we will examine the top packages for web design on Linux.

1.) Bluefish Editor
2.) Filezilla
3.) GIMP
4.) LibreOffice
5.) Web Browsers (I use Firefox)

Want to support the channel?
Check out our page on SwitchedtoLinux.com

Have a look at my Patreon page:

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

The following is the equipment used by Switched to Linux:

Main Amazon Site – http://amzn.to/2oFr4Wa

Studio Light – Studio Light – http://amzn.to/2pHPuyn
Logitech c920 – http://amzn.to/2nlUCXN
Logitech c615 – http://amzn.to/2ohO7u6
Samson Meteor Mic – http://amzn.to/2nlVvzD

source – For all your website needs, visit out Spalding Web Design

13 Responses to Top 5 Linux Packages for Web Design

• I have never used Bluefish or FileZilla because I have no idea what I'm doing. I once built a simple website with WordPress, but I don't know what it takes to become a real web developer. This might be a good idea for a future video series … "How To Become A Web Developer". You could show us what all we need to learn, how to get started, what are the start up costs, how to find customers, and how to protect the websites from hackers and other problems. You have a lot of experience with this so I'm sure you could make some great videos.

• Tor says:

thanks for the video was helpful look forward to checking out Bluefish. I have used Inkscape in the past its a solid vector program. I read today where sketch designers leaving mac are going with figma on windows ; that's big news. Sketch needs to port to Linux.

• ShaTer says:

Top notch as FOSS platform based software for web dev IMHO. GIMP or Inkscape both of them are just that much powerful tools 🙂

• Serge says:

Hello STL ! We share the same packages with the exception of FileZilla.
    So here some tips. For Bluefish install Xfe which has the possibility to run commands within the file manager. Xfe can open three panels. So you can run bluefish in one instance of Xfe and the other program or some folders and files in the other instance while still having access to all the other functionalities of Xfe (search with regex, plenty of available filters and so on …) Xfe is very lightweight and extremely fast. It is neither Gtk nor Qt dependent.
    For FTP functionalities you might use Midnight Commander which has plenty of options like a shell and sftp within the file manager.
    For LibreOffice export your documents as PDF then it doesn't matter which Office Suite is used by the person receiving your documents.
    For pictures you can also use Fotoxx, Darktable or RawTherapee !
    For your writing you could have a look at LaTeX !
    Best regards,
    Serge

• Dean Mires says:

You might want to cover responsive website design tools as well. I haven't found anything in bluefish that allows this.

• grillo diaz says:

Hey Can you make a video of how to install tails on a usb step my step on windows 10

• Becky Lawson says:

11:25 – Oh, I feel the pain. I shudder when I hear people use Windows. It's like, 'Why? With the exception of iTunes (which can be run through WINE, I know that) or popular games, WHY DO YOU NEED WINDOZE?!?'
    What makes me laugh (and I don't know if you came across this in your publishing journey) is when working with Amazon KDP, they require the book covers (and any internal photos) to BE in 300 DPI. I figured this out helping a friend with her book cover for Amazon KDP and I was ready to scream at Amazon, because GIMP said the cover WAS 300 DPI and Amazon said it wasn't.
    That was the most frustrating week I'd ever had on Linux thus far! (And pretty much the only time I actually did miss Windows and Adobe Photoshop)

• Hunter says:

I love Notepad++ in Windows but Linux doesn't seem to have anything like this – any suggestions?

• Not Linux specific but PatternLab.io is a great tool for front end development and prototyping. Though the most mature integrations are for Drupal 8 and GravCMS template development.

• Nice tools. I use them all 😉 Although, I am not doing much wd lately and have switched to Waterfox after all the Mozilla's shenanigans 😉 Bluefish is great. I've been using it for the past 8 years or so. I wish it had that split WYSIWYG view too that I was so used to in Dreamweaver but it is ok, especially if you have a dual monitor setup. I also use it as text editor. That tag selection feature you showed can really save you time and trouble in coplex layouts. Maybe the only one that was better from some point of view – especially character encoding conversion was BBEdit on Mac. FileZilla is great too and even lets you edit files on the fly if you need to.

• do you know git (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git)? I use git for almost every code I use, from C/C++, PHP, even my tesis written in Latex is in a git repo, git works for every plain text based files. I have even used git to deploy web software and if you don't like to learn a whole new system, you may want to learn git-cola, which is the easiest gui for git I have ever used, so simple you may learn how to use git in less time than the one you took to read this post. Git also gained a lot of popularity because Linus Torvalds programmed it.

• sir, will ubuntu suitable for professional web design and development ?

• i have installed ubuntu. but dash home icon will not show. how can i do that. please help me